Sunday, February 9, 2020

Let's get this blog on the road!
22 January 2020 08:42 pm (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time(US & Canada); Tijuana
First Blog Post!
The website says 248 days until Atacama.  That gives me less than one day to prepare for each kilometer I am going to be expected to run in the desert.  I have been operating under the impression that I had all the time in the world to get ready for this thing, but now, that I look at it like this, I’m suddenly feeling a sense of urgency.  There is all this stuff to do: research, run, shop (especially shop), run some more, start a blog.  But right now I am at work (we’ll talk about the work thing, but for tonight, let’s just say that there are no patients languishing in the waiting room while I am writing) so there isn’t too much for me to do besides getting started on this blog thing.
First things first, this blog will tell the story of what is going through my head as I get ready for Atacama.  I will ramble on about running, training, gear, food, salt, life, work, rest, play and whatever else flashes through my consciousness.  Hopefully you will find these ramblings as interesting and/or as entertaining as I do.  If not, I will apologize in advance.  What you read here should not be taken as expert advice!  I have never run an ultramarathon before, let alone a multiday ultramarathon, in the desert, carrying a pack.  I will try not to put anything completely crazy or false out here, but you should look at this more as an entertainment vehicle than the definitive tome on how to run an ultra.  If you have run an ultra and know this stuff and see that I am on the wrong track, literally or figuratively, please, let me know.  Or if you are like me, a first timer, maybe we can work together to get this figured out and survive the desert.  Feel free to comment.
My goals for Atacama are as follows:
  • 1)  Give thanks (be thankful).
  • 2)  Have fun.
  • 3)  Don’t get hurt.
I will talk in more detail about these goals, but, in case you haven’t caught this already, I am running Atacama 2020 in the spirit of thankfulness: giving thanks specifically to the good people at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, without whom I probably wouldn’t be here typing.
I have a fundraiser going to support the SCCA in their fight to save lives and help folks with cancer:
If you are looking for a good cause to throw a few of your hard earned dollars, or euros, or pesos at, I urge you to make a donation.  It is my expert opinion, as one who has come in one side and gone out the other, that the SCCA does good work.  And if you can’t see fit to donate to the Cancer Center of my choice, then I would ask you to make a donation to your local cancer center.
Okay.  That’s out there.  Let’s get on with number two.  Fun.  I still can’t go for a run.  But maybe I can go shopping!

Comments: Total (5) comments

Tom Hales

Posted On: 24 Jan 2020 02:06 am

Robert, I wish you the best of everything on this endeavor. I anxiously await the next post. I would offer advice and counsel but you'll have to do with encouragement. All the best my Brother!

Sam Fanshawe

Posted On: 23 Jan 2020 07:27 am

So exciting and for such a great cause. Can't wait to see you on the other side. With that advice and Tony's playlist you've got this.

tony brammer

Posted On: 23 Jan 2020 06:46 am

I would love to be in Atacama while you do this, unfortunately I can't make it this year. If you wish I can send you my playlist to listen to while you're training. Sing a long now "sweet Caroline......."

Carl Botterud

Posted On: 23 Jan 2020 05:56 am

You’re out of your mind. 248 days huh ..... looking for witty comment and I got nuthin’ - I am however reading your blog. Will get back to you with entertaining thoughts when they arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment