Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Gear Thing (part 2)

I had a birthday this week.  I turned 39.  For the 20th time.

I have to say that I don’t usually feel 59, but the morning after my birthday, after a couple too many thyme bomb cocktails (see below for recipe), I was definitely feeling my age.

But, fortunately there is no acute chocolate shortage going on, so there was cake!  And presents. 

(Thankfulness Note:  I give thanks to cake, cholcolate and presents, and for my amazing wife who gives me these things.)

Nancy got me the Raidlight Revolutiv 24 liter race vest for my birthday.  A race vest is a backpack for running (item 1 on the Mandatory Equipment List, MEL).  The Revolutiv weighs 250 grams or a little more than 8 ounces.  As opposed to my  current running pack, the UltimateDirection Fastpack 30 which looks like a backpack, the Revolutiv looks like a vest with a pocket on the back.  According to Raidlight, it is a “large capacity” race vest, although it looks like it barely has room for a loaf of bread.  It took me several minutes to squeeze a 5 kg bag of rice into the main compartment. 

The Raidlight Revolutiv vest (on the left) next to the UD fastpack 30
There are a couple of Raidlight bottle options that we'll need to talk about later


And by calling it a vest (and, I suspect, in the interest in keeping the weight down), Raidlight has been able to dispense completely with the padded shoulder straps one usually expects on a backpack.  The material that comprises the shoulder strap area is so insubstantial that you can actually see through it in places.  Which begs the question.  How comfortable is this vest thingie?  (how about after a 12 hour schlepp in the desert?)

a stuffed vest on model
hair care is the first victim of the pandemic


As mentioned, I loaded it up with 5kg of rice (and 2kg of water) and jogged around with it yesterday.  It felt pretty good.  It does ride well on my back and doesn’t jostle unduly with my stride.  But it is definitely not as comfortable as the UD Fastpack 30 which actually has a little padding in the shoulder straps and has a plastic/foam back support piece.  So I think there’s going to have to be a tradeoff here: Comfort for weight.  (weight in turn which may make me uncomfortable in the long run, Hmmm….)  The Fastpack 30 weighs 750 grams (24 oz), so 3x more than the Revolutiv.  And at 30 liters, there’s more room, for bringing more stuff, making a heavier pack for carrying out across the desert.

Lots to think about.  I am definitely going to have to take the Revolutiv out for a test run, or two.  But given that the vest is made of paper thin material, I don’t want to test it out too much, because I’d be worried that taking a well worn vest out into the wilderness would be begging for seem failure.

And speaking of the weight v. comfort conundrum, I have been pondering the sleeping pad concept.  Sleeping pads are not even on the MEL, but the idea of running all day and then preparing to do it again the next day by sleeping on the cold hard ground, doesn’t sound particularly appealing.  We have a couple of the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite pads.  We have a full size pad (12 oz) and a shortie pad (8oz), again the trade off: Is carrying an extra 4 ounces every day worth having your feet off the ground when you sleep every night?  



How do you put this to the test?  Thermarest now puts out an even lighter NeoAir pad, the Uberlite, but the reviews suggest that they have a high rate of leakage (going back to the cold hard ground thing), so I am not sure it is worth investing in the new pad.

Nancy also bought me the Raidlight Hyperlight jacket to satisfy item #25 on the MEL.  We haven’t had much rain here lately, so I can’t speak to its waterproofness, but it is very light.  I am going to put it on when I next go to work on our irrigation, so I will get back to you on water resistance and breathability.

All of the Raidlight stuff is pretty expensive.  Naturally a few weeks after Nancy bought my birthday presents, Raidlight put their entire inventory on 50% spring sale.  And although we were a little miffed at the timing error, I did get in on the sale and bought some tights (item #22), desert cap (#27) and some desert gaiters (not on the MEL).

I’ve been working my way through the MEL.  Next steps will have to be bedding and lighting (items 2-4).  The sleeping bag promises to be the most expensive purchase on the MEL.  My Mountain Hardware ultralight 15 degree F sleeping bag from a decade ago weighs just under 2 pounds.  It’s super comfy and warm, but I don’t think it’s going to make the cut (see comfort v. weight tradeoff).  There are a number of bags out there today that meet the 32 deg requirement and weigh only a pound.  And given that it literally has to fit in a breadbox, compressibility is also a big deal.  It looks like the new thing for fastpackers is the quilt.  Quilts weigh even less (no zipper, less material), but they seem a little futzy and if I read things right, you rely solely on the insulation of your pad for your parts on the ground side.  Could be risky.  If anyone has any thoughts on the trend towards quilting, let me know.  Until then, I will be meandering the internet looking at down count and other bag factors until I can actually get out to REI or Northface and actually run my fingers over the ripstop. 

Other than that, life has been pretty good in our little part of the world.  The irrigation district put water in the canals, and I spent much of the last week unclogging and replacing irrigation heads, so the water is splashing in our pasture and hopefully the grass will start growing soon.  I have two 24 hour shifts coming up in the emergency room, but hopefully the pandemic will continue to tread lightly here in Central Oregon.  Here’s hoping that you all are safe and healthy wherever you are. 

(Thankfulness note:  I give thanks for spring and growing grass)

Here’s a prescription for the Thyme Bomb cocktails (they will cure what ails you):
3 oz vodka
½ oz lemon juice (more or less to taste)
½ oz simple syrup (also to taste)
5-6 sprigs of thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
Muddle the ingredients in a large glass
Strain into shaker, Shake over ice.

Serve in a chilled martini glass with a sprig or two of thyme as garnish

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rob, FYI.. North face is giving health care workers a 50% discount for the next couple months. Good luck in the training. Lisa

    ReplyDelete